Body Alchemy

Crying is body alchemy meant to restore the sacred geometry of our individual consciousness. Like rain on land. It's not an accident that Mary Magdalene weeps tears. Margaret Starbird tells us that the Beloved Mother ponders sorrows in her heart but Mary Magdalene cries. When the sacred feminine is moved to tears, things change. There is a physiology to tears that helps move the mind.

Jesus was away from her and the family, trying to talk the intellectual talk with the headstrong. He was told his beloved Lazarus was sick but he didn't come back. He knew the "raising" was at hand. But when he saw his truly beloved Magdalene crying, he groaned in spirit and was troubled. And then the raising happened.
    Some authors have talked about Lazarus representing consciousness expansion, expansion of awareness outside of whatever currently "is".  For consciousness to expand there needs to be divine light and earthly feeling. A head and a heart. Mary Magdalene's tears specifically move Jesus to make an affect on things.
   Jesus needs Mary Magdalene as much as she need him.
   Apparently weeping relieves the body of chemicals created by emotional pain. A new awareness of things can happen when tears carry these chemicals away. When they're kept in the body.... when the headstrong point of view stays in charge.....nothing changes. When tears come, consciousness can expand. It's a head and heart story, a story of Sacred Union.
    My friend Sandra Pope calls this "the tend and befriend Magdalene", remembering that tend and befriend is the Sacred Feminine's response to a stuck and fearful situation. Instead of "fight or flight" we "tend and befriend". Crying is part of the positive movement of change of consciousness.

Mary Magdalene's tears are different in this piece of story. They are an essential part of  creating the movement of things to a good outcome. They are "verb" kind of tears, necessary to move the divine into action and change the situation. For myself, these kind of tears don't feel like anything but heartache when they're happening. It's only in retrospect that I see what they did. Weeping brings on the Mystery of transformation.
   Jesus needs Mary Magdalene as much as she needs him.

What did you think of this article?

Trackbacks
  • No trackbacks exist for this post.
Comments

• 8/29/2010 7:33 AM Sandra Pope wrote:
    This is the most beautiful affirmation of the goddess-in-the-cells, Joan! And the pictures are gorgeous and transformative.

I have always rather guiltily felt the presence and pleasure of the "comforter" in my tears, and now I feel exonerated. She is there helping the body restore itself, like you said, to the harmony of its sacred geometry.

I read that women cry five times more often than men. We need to because it allows us to release the toxic "fight or flight" hormones, adrenalin and cortisol, both of which men can release much more naturally and quickly.

No longer will I feel weak or apologetic when I cry. Rather, I will melt into the arms of my inner Sacred Feminine and be her Beloved.

Love,
    Sandra
    1. 8/29/2010 8:08 AM Joan Norton wrote:
      Hi Sandra,
        I feel you're in this discussion in ways that will benefit other readers. I bet you have some writing on this subject. Going to blog it soon?
         In the meantime..... http://growingupwithoutthegoddess.blogspot.com/
      Yes, the paintings are perfect. The first one is Pierter Coecke Van Aelst from the 1700's. The second is Carravaggio from the 1600's. I was pondering that when men arrive at the canvas to paint Mary Magdalene they come into awarenesss of feelings they hasn't before expressed, or were waiting to express. Maybe it should be a "required class".  xoJoan

1. 8/29/2010 3:42 PM Sandra Pope wrote:
        Oh, I do have some things to say from the "scientific view" that affirm what we experience so much more fully in our bodies, our selves, Herself in us.

Right now, I rather just read your lovely hymn and look at these beautiful pictures that elevate and honor that formerly maligned part of myself -- my ability to weep.

I am reminded of Huston Smith's assertion in Why Religion Matters: The Fate of the Human Spirit in an Age of Disbelief. He said that after three hundred years of being in a tunnel, divided from the sacred traditions, that biology, chemistry, and physics are finally emerging from that split-off tunnel and acknowledging the truth of what the sacred traditions have always taught about the divine in everything.

It's nice when science either supports us in our true nature or gets out of the way and lets us be our true selves.

Love!
  • 8/29/2010 8:13 AM Sally wrote:
    A lovely writing reminding us that our own senses are what connect us most deeply to our spiritual self. Feeling our sorrow allows us to more deeply feel joy, embracing our grief widens our compassionate heart.

On May 5th, in my new book, "BLESSINGS FROM MARY," Mary says, "Pain, when surrendered to us, creates compassion and understanding."

Thank you for this sharing.

Sally
  • 8/29/2010 5:06 PM Jenny wrote:
    Absolutely beautiful, Joan!

Your personal account of heartache and hindsight reminds me of a recent tear shedding over my grandmother and how much I miss her. My soul has felt more quiet since that day. I still have much to work through, but I feel more "ok" with her absence then before that day of weeping...

Thanks for all that you continue to do for the Sacred Feminine, Joan. In my quiet time and especially during my trials, I find praying to "Mother" is like pulling a warm shawl close, wrapping myself up in the constant strength and presence of the Magdalene.

All my love, admiration, and thanks--Jenny
    1. 8/30/2010 6:14 AM Joan Norton wrote: